exclude binary files from os.walk

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Jan 26 17:15:23 EST 2005

On 2005-01-26, rbt <rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to exclude binary files (I'm working on
> Windows XP) from the file list returned by os.walk()?

Sure, assuming you can provide a rigorous definition of 'binary
files'.  :)

> Also, when reading files and you're unsure as to whether or
> not they are ascii or binary, I've always thought it safer to
> 'rb' on the read, is this correct...

That depends on what you want.  Adding a 'b' will disable the
cr/lf handling.  Not sure what else it does.

> and if so, what's the reasoning behind this?

Behind what?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now that I have my
                                  at               "APPLE", I comprehend COST