Pystone benchmark: Win vs. Linux (again)

Franco Fiorese franco.fiorese at tin.it
Sat Jan 29 16:18:11 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Franco Fiorese wrote:
>

>>I am relatively new about Python benchmarks.
>>After some experiments I found that Python on my PC Windows XP has a relevant higher performance
>>than on Linux. The simple test using pystone.py shows this:
>>
>> * Windows XP Pro:  16566.7 pystones/second
>> * Linux (kernel 2.6.9 NPTL): 12346.2 pystones/second
>

> what Python version are you using for these tests?  what Windows build?
>
> </F>

I have performed the test under Linux Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP
Professional SP2.
This is the info about my system and Python (from /proc/cpuinfo):

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 896.418
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1769.47

System RAM: 256MB
-------------------------------------

Under Linux The python version is 2.3.4 (release 11) stock Fedora 3 RPM
(compiled from python-2.3.4-11.src.rpm)

Under Windows the Python version is 2.3.4

Anyway I will try to build the latest version (2.4) from source using
the best possible optmizations with the gcc compiler.

Being the pystone a benchmark that exercises mostly the compiler
optimizations I wonder if there is a benchmark that could bring up the
whole capabilities of the operating system (I/O, multithreading, memory
allocation, etc.).