video analysis with python

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Thu Jan 20 15:29:54 EST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:08:46 +0100, "Alexander 'boesi' Bösecke"
<boesi.josi at gmx.net> wrote:
>> 1. There is PyMedia (http://pymedia.org/)
>
>Is this library able to extract single images from a video? AFAICS it
>can only convert videos from one format to another. But I didn't try it,
>I've looked only in the docu.

Yes, you can extract single images from a video. The package uses the
avformat and avcodec libraries from ffmpeg and it provides rather low
level access to video/audio files. You can access the individual
streams in a file, obtain the stream data and decode the data therein.
What you do with the data is up to your application. Converting the
file into another format is just one such application.

- Matthias -