simultaneous multiple requests to very simple database

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Jan 18 18:30:21 EST 2005

Ricardo Bugalho wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:33:26 -0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>

>>When I look at databases, I see a bunch of very good solutions that are
>>either overly complex or heavyweight on one hand and very nice and simple
>>but unable to deal with concurrency on the other.  two sets of point
>>solutions that try to stretch themselves and the developers to fit other
>>application contexts.
>>

> Have you considerded SQLite/pySQLite ?

yep and apparently it won't work

http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q7

if I had record level locking, the code would do a very common pattern like:

if record present:
  Lock record
  modify record
  release lock
else:
  create record atomically (actual method TBB)

if I read their opinion correctly, the SQL lite folks are wrong in that
only the applications need massive concurrency.  Small applications need
significant to massive concurrency for very tiny windows on very little
data.

but I do appreciate the pointer.