OT: MoinMoin and Mediawiki?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jan 11 13:40:04 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> writes:
>
>>MediaWiki should run with PHP configured in CGI handler mode, but
>>these days mod_php has got its claws just about everywhere anyway. If
>>you control your own server and don't have multi-user security
>>worries, mod_php is simple enough to install and will probably perform
>>better.
>

> Thanks, yes, I could run a special apache instance with mod_php
> installed.  I'm pretty good with apache.  I have no MySQL admin
> experience but I suppose enough people are using MySQL that the
> installation procedures and docs are pretty well developed and I can
> follow the instructions.
>
> What I'm wondering is just how big an adventure I'd be setting off on,
> simply to get MediaWiki itself installed, configured, and running.
> Any thoughts about that?

A few months ago I tried and failed to get squirrelmail/php to run with Apache2
and freeBSD 4.9. It seems that php prefers the old style apache 1.3 work flow. I
got some  help from the php guys, but not enough. I suppose I could have run a
separate apache13 server, but that seems like a cop out to me. We don't want to
maintain an extra set of configs etc etc.

Mailman, moinmoin and others work fine with apache2 maybe because they use a cgi
style interface. I would stick with a pythonic solution unless there's a good
reason not too.
-too old to learn a new language-ly yrs-
Robin Becker