What YAML engine do you use?

Doug Holton a at b.c
Mon Jan 24 10:08:41 EST 2005

rm wrote:

> Doug Holton wrote:
>
>> rm wrote:
>>
>>> this implementation of their idea. But I'd love to see a generic,
>>> pythonic data format.
>>

>> That's a good idea.  But really Python is already close to that.  A
>> lot of times it is easier to just write out a python dictionary than
>> using a DB or XML or whatever.  Python is already close to YAML in
>> some ways.
>
> true, it's easy enough to separate the data from the functionality in
> python by putting the data in a dictionary/list/tuple, but it stays
> source code.

Check out JSON, an alternative to XML for data interchange.  It is
basically just python dictionaries and lists:
http://www.crockford.com/JSON/example.html

I think I would like this better than YAML or XML, and it looks like it
already parses as valid Python code, except for the /* */ multiline
comments (which boo supports).

It was mentioned in a story about JSON-RPC-Java:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/24/125236