Continuations Based Web Framework - Seaside.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 3 14:41:05 EST 2005

Kendall Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 10:03:10AM -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>

>>I did actually do some sort-of-related work in this area, which I
>>presented at PyCon DC 2004 - you can access the paper at
>>
>>   http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/18/Setting_A_Context.pdf
>>
>>An audience member mentioned the Smalltalk and Scheme-based work on web
>>continuation frameworks, and I was sorry my answer at the time seemed
>>unduly dismissive.
>

> That was me, actually. I remain surprised that there isn't a move
> afoot either to implement something like Seaside or Borges in Python
> or to adapt one of the existing web frameworks to be
> modal/continuation style.

Ah, glad to make your acquaintance again - I lost your email address in
a disk crash shortly after PyCon DC 2004.

[...]

>>There are some interesting similarities, and though
>>my own implementation is decidedly clunky I like to think the paper
>>explains some of the advantages of maintaining state and why the "back"
>>button is an obnoxious anachronism :-)
>

> I'd still like to publish a piece on XML.com about modal web app
> style, preferably with a Python example, though Borges would be fine.

Would an adaptation of the PyCon paper be any use in this context?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119