Employablity of python programmers

Benji York benji at zope.com
Wed Jan 19 00:15:56 EST 2005

Mir Nazim <mirnazim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in a fix what skill set I must choose to be safe as
> far as job openings are concerned.

 > 1) C/C++ and Python.
 > 2) Java and Python.
 > 3) Pure Python.

As for pure employability, I'd choose option 2, but as a person that
wants something more than employment from my work life, I'd like to
share something with you:

A while ago I decided that to be happy I had to decide what I wanted,
*really* go after those things, and believe that the rewards would
follow.  For me Python had a big part to play in that, so I recently
started looking for a new job, even though I already had one that was
promising and secure.  It also meant being willing to move myself and my
family far from or home, friends, and other family members to take that
new job.

If we were willing to make big changes (and the accompanying
sacrifices), we were going to make the most of it: I wouldn't accept
anything but the right job, at the right company, with the right
environment where they really needed *me*.  I spent hours researching
openings and companies and sent out many resumes with the hopes of
finding that *one* job.  Two weeks later, I was fortunate enough to
begin talks with *two* very interested (and more importantly,
interesting) companies.

I've been at my new job (in a new house, in a new city) for about six
weeks now.  It's not perfect (nothing is), but I'm enjoying the job,
like the people I work with, and the area we live in.  We made the right
choice.  Go after what you really want, and you will too.
--
Benji York
Sr. Software Engineer