Python Operating System???

Arich Chanachai macrocosm at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 10 00:09:31 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

>Arich Chanachai <macrocosm at fastmail.fm> writes:
>

>>>Yes, compiled Lisp.  There are Python compilers too.\
>>>

>>???  You mean like Pyrex or some such?  I wouldn't exactly call these
>>"Python" compilers, as that kind of obscures some underlying
>>(critical) facts.
>>

>Also psyco.

Directly to machine code---- how could anyone say this is not compiled
Python.  I am right with you.  On the other hand however, its
compilation occurs on-the-fly (JIT) and is no more compiled than Java.
There is an argument either way.  I have heard of Java OSs in the works
and possibly already existing...are these pure Java?

>  And I think Pypy is currently set up to compile Python
>into Pyrex and then run the Pyrex results through GCC.

But of course, who's going to argue that Pyrex produces "compiled
Python"?  I expect many would beg to differ, and in fact might like to
kiss your toes just for the mere pleasure of contradicting and arguing
against any assertion that Pyrex produces "compiled Python".