Another scripting language implemented into Python itself?

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 12:17:41 EST 2005

Cameron Laird wrote:
[snip..]
> This is a serious issue.
>
> It's also one that brings Tcl, mentioned several
> times in this thread, back into focus.  Tcl presents
> the notion of "safe interpreter", that is, a sub-
> ordinate virtual machine which can interpret only
> specific commands.  It's a thrillingly powerful and
> correct solution to the main problem Jeff and others
> have described.

A better (and of course *vastly* more powerful but unfortunately only a
dream ;-) is a similarly limited python virutal machine.....

It could make embedding python a lot simpler for lots of applications
and even 'embedded python' a lot simpler. (Not to mention 'restricted
execution' - e.g. for applets in web pages)

*Perhaps* the pypy core will be a bit like this - but it's design goals
are very different of course.

Anyway, little point in wishing on a dream - I'm certainly not up to
the job :-)
Regards,

Fuzzy