Developing Commercial Applications in Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 3 15:49:11 EST 2005

eeykay at gmail.com wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
> is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
> good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
> clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications. Is there
> any other implications like that of GPL to make the source open ?
> Thanks for any help.
> eeykay

No. The Python license explicitly allows you to distribute derived works
(i.e. Python applications including the standard compiler, or modified
versions of the compiler) without obliging you to disclose the source
code in the way that the GPL does.

The only obligation the license places on you are

a) You must retain the original copyright notices and
b) If you *do* distribute modified versions, you must include a brief
description of your modifications.

I believe the Python License Version 2, as found at

   http://www.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseV2Easy

is about as simple as a license can get, yet still the Foundation
receives inquiries from people whose lawyers are unconvinced there are
no hidden problems. Of course, IANAL, so the lawyers could be right, but
at least the INTENT is pretty obvious.

Also beware if you plan to use "The Python License" for your own
software, and read

   http://www.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq

if you are thinking of doing so. Of course, there are many contributions
which were licensed to the Foundation for inclusion in the distribution.
The Foundation is currently in the process of regularizing the "license
stack" thus created, by negotiating with individual contributors to
ensure that a compatible license is initially granted to the PSF.

Nothing is currently believed to prohibit the Foundation from licensing
current releases on the terms that it does, but I should include a
disclaimer that this is *not* an official statement from the
Foundation, rather an explanation from one of its directors (an
all-too-fallible human being) about what's lately been happening in the
licensing space.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119