debugging process

jimbo at cordiner.com jimbo at cordiner.com
Sat Jan 22 17:24:51 EST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to create a separate process that will launch python and
then can be used to step through a script programmatically.

I have tried something like:

(input, output) = os.popen2(cmd="python")

Then I expected I could select over the two handles input and output,
make sure they aren't going to block, and then be able to write python
code to the interpreter and read it back. I intend to import a module,
run it in the debugger with pdb.run() and the start passing debug
commands in and read the output.

I hope that makes sense, what I am finding is that whenever I try to
read from the output handle it blocks. My understanding was that if it
is returned by select that it is ready for reading and won't block.

I think that this must have something to do with python expecting
itself to by in a TTY? Can anyone give any idea of where I should be
going with this?

Thanks,
jms.