Python evolution: Unease

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Tue Jan 4 07:36:43 EST 2005

    Iwan> And then I read the following sentence by Van Rossum:

    Iwan> "In order to make type inferencing a little more useful, I'd
    Iwan> like to restrict certain forms of extreme dynamic behavior
    Iwan> in Python"

    Iwan> In the end, it's mindset which counts. And I think that
    Iwan> mindset is going to be determine the way foreward for
    Iwan> Python: more features, increased complexity, less
    Iwan> dynamism. Lots of syntax crud, without addressing the need
    Iwan> to improve the infrastructure around the language.

What form of extreme dynamic behaviour have you been using lately? Do
you really think it's more worthwhile than the benefits provided by
type inference, least of which isn't the ability by IDEs to provide
you accurate code completion.

Also, Python is not a monolithic entity. Guido certainly isn't going
to write a better IDE for Python, so the time used on language
features isn't removed from improving the infrastructure around the
language.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb