smtplib bug with Windows XP

stewart.midwinter at gmail.com stewart.midwinter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 20:01:20 EST 2005

I'm having problem with a script that used to work under Win2k but is
now broken after an install of WinXP Pro.  I can no longer connect to a
local mail server.  Has anyone else seen this?  If so, were you able to
work around it?  Here's the traceback (below).  Interestingly, if I
change ports to the POP port 110, I get a different error, but one that
lets me know that I can reach the server.

trying to connect on the SMTP port 25:

>>> s = smtplib.SMTP('10.50.200.6',25)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "C:\Programs\Python24\Lib\smtplib.py", line 241, in __init__
(code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File "C:\Programs\Python24\Lib\smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
raise socket.error, msg
socket.error: (10053, 'Software caused connection abort')

trying to connect on POP port 110:

>>> s = smtplib.SMTP('10.50.200.6',110)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "C:\Programs\Python24\Lib\smtplib.py", line 243, in __init__
raise SMTPConnectError(code, msg)
smtplib.SMTPConnectError: (-1, 'Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server
version 6.0.
6249.0 (11exg01.es.int) ready.')

All clues gratefully accepted!