Python Operating System???

Nick Vargish nav+posts at bandersnatch.org
Thu Jan 6 23:57:54 EST 2005

Arich Chanachai <macrocosm at fastmail.fm> writes:

> He should just build around a linux core or use OS kit (if he is
> serious/determined).

There's Ubuntu Linux, a Debian-based distro with commercial backing
and a regular release schedule. One of the neat things about Ubuntu is
that Python use is encouraged. "Python scripting everywhere" is a
stated goal, and they have a number of bounties that concentrate on
deepening the use of Python in the OS:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/bounties

I've been using it on a couple of desktops, and I've been impressed by
the overall quality of the distro. One thing I especially like is that
the root account is disabled by default, administrative tasks are
performed with sudo by users in the appropriate group (much like it is
in Mac OS X 10.3).

Nick

--
#  sigmask  ||  0.2  ||  20030107  ||  public domain  ||  feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')