[ANN] Movable Python, linky and Techie Blog

fuzzyman at gmail.com fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:12:03 EST 2005

Minor news first :

'linky' a local link checker is available.
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/programs.shtml#linky

linky will check your website for dead links (within the website) as
well as comparing it to the website on your filesystem, to check for
case errors that might not be picked up if you test your website on
windows. It can also report files that don't appear to be linked to -
for finding  redundant images etc.

linky uses BeautifulSoup to do the hard work.

The Voidspace Techie Blog has moved. My (mainly python related blog)
now lives at :
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/index.shtml
It is created using firedrop - the excellent blog tool by Hans Nowak

MOVABLE PYTHON
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy
http://sourceforge.net/projects/movpy

Version 0.4.5 is now available, hurrah.

There are now prebuilt distributions for Python 2.2, 2.3, *and* 2.4.

This is a bugifx/update release. The distributions it produces are very
*similar* to version 0.4.4 distributions, but there are a couple of
issues resolved. See
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/changelog.html for details.

*Most* of the changes relate to the PyDistFrreeze.py in the 'source'
package. This is the code that creates the frozen distributions. There
have been several simplifications and improvements. Again, see the
CHANGELOG for details.

Version 0.5.0

Bruno Thoorens has provided me with the code for the GUI for
PyDistFreeze.py When I have integrated it with PyDistFreeze.py it will
form the 0.5.0 release. This should be in the next couple of weeks time
permitting. The GUI is *excellent* :-)

Movable Python is a Python runtime that can run scripts without the
need for Python to be installed. With the inclusion of wxPython and SPE
editor it is a portable (movable) development environment. Also useful
for testing scripts with several different python versions. The source
version will build frozen environments (using py2exe - so Windoze only
currently), this can include whichever extension modules/packages you
choose.
Regards,

Michael Foord