PythonWin (build 203) for Python 2.3 causes Windows 2000 to grind to a halt?

Martin Bless mb at muenster.de
Sun Jan 30 03:56:15 EST 2005

[chris.peressotti at utoronto.ca (Chris P.)]

>The bug you suggested is exactly the problem that I was having... I
>had looked through the bugs being tracked, but the title of that one
>didn't jump out at me as something that would help.  Thanks!

Yes, using Python24 and the latest win32 build on my machine the bug
still exists. PythonWin works fine if you don't use the debugger.

But since the debugger is the most valuable feature for me I sadly had
to stop using PythonWin. For a while I found some help by running the
script below every now and then. It deletes the erroneous registry
entries. But currently the bugs are stronger.

Here's my solution: I spent some money and switched to "WingIde" from
wingware.com. Wow, it's breathtaking and worth each penny. Don't
compare WingIde with other editors. WingIde really plays in the IDE
(integrated development environment) league. And it's very Python
aware and knowledgable ...

mb - Martin Bless

Here's my script to delete the erroneous debugger entries:

Script "delete-debugger-entries,pywin,python24.py"

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: iso-8859-1 -*-

"""Delete problematic registry entries in 'Python for Win32'.

Martin Bless, mb, 2004-09-24, 2005-01-05
No warrenties whatsoever. Use at your own risk.
"""

import win32api
import win32con

subKey = r'Software\Python 2.4\Python for Win32'
subKey = r'Software\Python 2.4\Python for Win32'

if 1:
    #HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python 2.4\Python for
Win32\ToolbarDebugging-Bar0
    k =
win32api.RegOpenKeyEx(win32con.HKEY_CURRENT_USER,subKey,0,win32con.KEY_ALL_ACCESS)
    nsubkeys,nvalues,timeval = win32api.RegQueryInfoKey(k)
    keys = []
    for i in range(nsubkeys):
        s = win32api.RegEnumKey(k,i)
        if (s.startswith('ToolbarDefault-Bar') or
            s.startswith('ToolbarDebugging-Bar')):
            keys.append(s)
    for i,key in enumerate(keys):
        subKey2 = subKey + '\\' + key
        print i,':', subKey2
        win32api.RegDeleteKey(win32con.HKEY_CURRENT_USER,subKey2)
        if i>99999:
            break
    k.Close()
    print len(keys),"deleted."