access private field in python 2.4

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:31:47 EST 2005

ajikoe at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, if we want to access the private member of object we use the
> classname, it doesn't make sense. For example:
> I have class A:
>
> class A:
> def __init__(self, i):
> self.__i = i;
> pass
>
> __i = 0
>
> a = A(22);
> b = A(33);
>
> How can I get  field i in object a and how can I get field i in object
> b?

py> class A:
...     def __init__(self, i):
...         self.__i = i;
py> a = A(22)
py> a._A__i
22

> Beside I try to call:
> print _A__i #fail  this create  error

Looks like you're confused about the difference between instances and
modules.  The code:
     print _A__i
asks Python to print the attribute _A__i of the given module.  But you
want the attribute _A__i of the instance 'a'.  As you can see in my
code, if you want the attribute of the instance, you need to specify it
as such.

As an additional reminder, you generally *shouldn't* be accessing
"private" variables of a class.  There's a reason they're declared
private. ;)

Steve