Help! Host is reluctant to install Python

Daniel Bickett dbickett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:15:45 EST 2005

I've been trying to convince my host to install python/mod_python on
his server for a while now, however there are a number of reasons he
is reluctant to do so, which I will outline here:

1. His major reason is optimization. He uses Zend's optimization of
PHP as an example, and he has stated that python is rather resource
consuming.
2. Another one of his points is that he is unexperienced in installing
python, and he would not know how to do it securely. By 'securely',
I'm assuming he means disallowing a malicious (or ignorant) user from
harming the server

And, in light of point #1, I suggested that if there wasn't any
optimization immediately available, he could just enable it for my
account (thus lessening potential resource consumption at any given
time), to which he retorted "Do /you/ know how to do that?", and I
must say, he has me cornered ;-)

I have no experience with this sort of thing, so I'm asking a little
assistance in the direction of any documents or websites (or what have
you) I could show him in order to answer some of these questions, or
perhaps even some unspoken ones -- anything worth noting. (all I'm
really going to do is link him to this thread once it has accumulated
any answers)

Thank you all for your help :)

Wishing-to-be-liberated-from-the-clutches-of-PHP-ly y'rs,
Daniel Bickett