Point of Sale

Andreas Pauley andreasp at qbcon.com
Thu Jan 27 10:00:40 EST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Peter Hansen wrote:

> Andreas Pauley wrote:
>> My company has given me a rather cool project:
>> I have to provide them with an open-source python-based point-of-sale / 
>> cash register system that can integrate with their existing ERP backend.
> Do you have information about the interface to the ERP back end?
> It could be anything just about anything...

See my reply to Cameron.

>> The project will include development to ensure that the features they 
>> require are included in the open-source POS system.
> I read that as "will include automated acceptance tests", but perhaps
> you meant something else?

Actually I just mean that I'm not looking for a 100% feature-fit, if I get 
a 70% fit I'll jump in and develop the other 30%.

>> Can you recommend anything that I can use?
> There's a good chance you'll need to use PySerial, if the
> cash registers are connected via RS-232, but beyond that
> there's not much to say without more info.  I believe I
> heard somebody talking about a Python POS system before
> in this newsgroup, but I'm not sure: check the archives?

Thanks, I'll keep PySerial in mind.
Up to now I've googled a bit, and looked at Sourceforge projects.
(I also did a search on the 51664 messages in my local Python-list folder)

At the moment I found a POS in GNU Enterprise, a project named "custom" 
and another project named "Auto Auction".
I'm not sure what the features of each system are, I'm busy checking them 
out one by one.
Then there's also 3 or 4 Python systems which haven't released any files 
Currently I'm evaluating GNU Enterprise.


More information about the Python-list mailing list