Integration with java

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 18 07:23:24 EST 2005

Dan Bishop wrote:

> Istvan Albert wrote:
>
>>Joachim Boomberschloss wrote:
>>

>>> the code is already written in Python, using the
>>> standard libraries and several extension modules
>>
>>One thing to keep in mind is that Jython does not
>>integrate CPython, instead it "understands" python code
>>directly. So if you have a C extension that works with python
>>it won't work with Jython.
>

> Also, Jython is several versions behind CPython, so any Python code
> that uses generators or new-style division won't work either.
>

>>My feeling is that if you had a lot of Java code written and
>>wanted to build on that with python Jython would be a better
>>fit than vice versa.
>

> I agree.

Also let's not forget that the PSF has funded a project that's intended
to help Jython get up to the curve - see
http://www.python.org/psf/grants/Jython_PSF_Grant_Proposal.pdf. If that
project succeeds, and if 2.5 development *does* focus mostly on the
library, there's a sporting chance that Jython can be fully up to date
for the 2.5 release.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119