PyQT installation

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Sat Jan 1 12:44:21 EST 2005

John J. Lee wrote:

> aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:
> [...]
>
>>Basically: if you want it on Windows for free, forget Qt
>

> Correct.

I believe the book "C++ GUI programming Qt3" comes
with a windows Qt gpl 3.x version. Just have to buy
the book. No PyQt version to match thou.

Blackadder from the Kompany, while not free, is still
a pretty good deal. Like < $100 for personal and around
$350 for commercial version. Include current windows/linux
versions of (Qt)PyQt along with converted Qt C++ to PyQt docs.

  > Not correct.  It's driven by KDE, and it's more ambitious than that:
>
> http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/roadmap.php
>

> IIRC, people have already run some KDE apps under Windows (though
> still needing X, so far).
>
> I wonder how TrollTech will react as (and if) it progresses.

I don't think your giving TrollTech any credit here, yes they have
a business model and need to make money, but not everybody is
Microsoft. They are fully aware and supportive of the project
and I remember reading not to long ago they struck an aggrement
with the project that if anything ever happened to TrollTech they
would release Qt to project under gpl, or something like that.