[OT] XML design intent ... further musings

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Mon Jan 24 09:27:01 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I love this old rant about XML:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/9a30c508201627ee

This is my favorite:

http://weblog.burningbird.net/archives/2002/10/08/the-parable-of-the-languages

"I’m considered the savior, the ultimate solution, the final word.
Odes are written to me, flowers strewn at my feet, virgins sacrificed at
my altar. Programmers speak my name with awe. Companies insist on using
me in all their projects, though they’re not sure why. And whenever a
problem occurs, someone somewhere says, “Let’s use XML", and miracles
occur and my very name has become a talisman against evil. And yet, all
I am is a simple little markup, from humble origins.
It’s a burden, being XML."