Python & unicode

P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Wed Jan 12 05:27:29 EST 2005

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> P at draigBrady.com wrote:
>
>> Because the coding is only supported in string literals.
>> But I'm not sure exactly why.
>
> The why is the same as why we write in English on this newsgroup.
> Not because English is better, but because that leaves a single
> language for everyone to use to communicate in.

Fair enough. Though people can communicate in other languages
if they want, or have specific newsgroups for other languages.

> If you allow
> non-ASCII characters in symbol names, your source code will be
> unviewable (and uneditable) for people with ASCII-only terminals,
> never mind how comprehensible it might otherwise be.

So how does one edit non ascii string literals at the moment?

> It is a
> least-common-denominator argument, not a "this is better"
> argument.

If one edited the whole file in the specified coding
then one wouldn't have to switch editing modes when
editing strings which is a real pain.

--
Pádraig Brady - http://www.pixelbeat.org