Python Operating System???

Roose b at b.b
Sun Jan 9 22:03:50 EST 2005

> I've written file systems in Python, and task schedulers in
> Javascript, and they were fine for their purposes

Uh, not to be rude, but what are you talking about?  If I'm not mistaken
Javascript is that scripting language that runs inside a browser, an
application.  How are you going to save and restore CPU state in Javascript,
or even call assembly that does it in Javascript?  How do you switch into
kernel mode in Javascript?  We are on completely different pages apparently.

> Huh?  That's a non-sequitur, nothing prevents you from running Lisp on
> your PC or Mac.  The same issues issues that apply to OS code, also
> apply to user code.  The Lisp machine hardware wasn't needed only to
> make the OS run fast.  The Lisp machine was developed so that people
> could deploy large user-level applications written in Lisp, and the
> hardware was there to support those applications.  And given such a
> good Lisp environment, there was no reason to think of writing the OS
> in anything other than Lisp.

Upon reading back in the thread I see that you mean compiled Lisp, no?  I
was thinking that there would be a Lisp interpreter in a kernel, which afaik
doesn't exist.  In any case, as I said before I don't think it is
impossible, just a poor engineering decision and I don't see the rationale
behind it.  Sure you can do anything for intellectual purposes and you'd
probably learn a lot, but the OP is looking for an easier way to write an
OS -- and that is not to write it in Python.