need help on need help on generator...

Francis Girard francis.girard at free.fr
Sat Jan 22 05:06:41 EST 2005

Le samedi 22 Janvier 2005 10:10, Alex Martelli a écrit :
> Francis Girard <francis.girard at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > But besides the fact that generators are either produced with the new
> > "yield" reserved word or by defining the __new__ method in a class
> > definition, I don't know much about them.
>
> Having __new__ in a class definition has nothing much to do with
> generators; it has to do with how the class is instantiated when you
> call it.  Perhaps you mean 'next' (and __iter__)?  That makes instances
> of the class iterators, just like iterators are what you get when you
> call a generator.

Yes, I meant "next".

> > In particular, I don't know what Python constructs does generate a
> > generator.
>
> A 'def' of a function whose body uses 'yield', and in 2.4 the new genexp
> construct.

Ok. I guess I'll have to update to version 2.4 (from 2.3) to follow the
discussion.

> > I know this is now the case for reading lines in a file or with the new
> > "iterator" package.
>
> Nope, besides the fact that the module you're thinking of is named
> 'itertools': itertools uses a lot of C-coded special types, which are
> iterators but not generators.  Similarly, a file object is an iterator
> but not a generator.
>
> > But what else ?
>
> Since you appear to conflate generators and iterators, I guess the iter
> built-in function is the main one you missed.  iter(x), for any x,
> either raises an exception (if x's type is not iterable) or else returns
> an iterator.

You're absolutly right, I take the one for the other and vice-versa. If I
understand correctly, a "generator" produce something over which you can
iterate with the help of an "iterator". Can you iterate (in the strict sense
of an "iterator") over something not generated by a "generator" ?

> > Does Craig Ringer answer mean that list
> > comprehensions are lazy ?
>
> Nope, those were generator expressions.
>
> > Where can I find a comprehensive list of all the
> > lazy constructions built in Python ?
>
> That's yet a different question -- at least one needs to add the
> built-in xrange, which is neither an iterator nor a generator but IS
> lazy (a historical artefact, admittedly).
>
> But fortunately Python's built-ins are not all THAT many, so that's
> about it.
>
> > (I think that to easily distinguish lazy
> > from strict constructs is an absolute programmer need -- otherwise you
> > always end up wondering when is it that code is actually executed like in
> > Haskell).
>
> Encapsulation doesn't let you "easily distinguish" issues of
> implementation.  For example, the fact that a file is an iterator (its
> items being its lines) doesn't tell you if that's internally implemented
> in a lazy or eager way -- it tells you that you can code afile.next() to
> get the next line, or "for line in afile:" to loop over them, but does
> not tell you whether the code for the file object is reading each line
> just when you ask for it, or whether it reads all lines before and just
> keeps some state about the next one, or somewhere in between.

You're right. I was much more talking (mistakenly) about lazy evaluation of
the arguments to a function (i.e. the function begins execution before its
arguments get evaluated) -- in such a case I think it should be specified
which arguments are "strict" and which are "lazy" -- but I don't think
there's such a thing in Python (... well not yet as Python get more and more
akin to FP).

> The answer for the current implementation, BTW, is "in between" -- some
> buffering, but bounded consumption of memory -- but whether that tidbit
> of pragmatics is part of the file specs, heh, that's anything but clear
> (just as for other important tidbits of Python pragmatics, such as the
> facts that list.sort is wickedly fast, 'x in alist' isn't, 'x in adict'
> IS...).
>

> Alex

Thank you

Francis Girard