DOS problem (simple fix??)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Jan 8 13:49:59 EST 2005

Gavin Bauer wrote:

> My DOS window (running in windows ME) closes the second it finishes
> running my programs. As you can imagine, this makes it hard to see the
> results. I've gotten in the habit of putting raw_input("Press enter to
> exit") at the end of every program, and in addition to being pain in
> the butt, it often fails to work. Being new to programming in general,
> I make more mistakes than most people. My programs often have errors
> before they get to my raw_input command. They then display the error
> and immediately close. It is naturally a lot easier to fix an error
> when you know what the error is. This makes debugging even more
> annoying than it ordinarily would be, if you can imagine that. I've
> heard that it should be a simple preference fix, but I've asked around
> and no one seems to know how.

I presume this means you are starting the program by the time-honored
expedient of double-clicking on it. For debugging you would probably
find it more satisfactory to run your programs from the command line,
and there's a FAQ that explains how at

   http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows.html

If that isn't simple enough then please let me know, as it's *supposed*
to be.

> Thank you, and please make all answers simple enough to be understood
> by a highschool student and his father :) .

If you wanted to get really adventurous you could try tweaking the
command that Windows runs when you double-click a Python script, but
we'll leave that for another time.

Welcome to Python!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119