The Industry choice

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 2 18:01:15 EST 2005

"Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:_rTBd.66275$Jk5.46 at lakeread01...
> Well clearly there's a spectrum. However, I have previously written that
> the number of open source projects that appear to get stuck somewhere
> between release 0.1 and release 0.9 is amazingly large, and does imply
> some dissipation of effort.

And how do the failure and effort dissipation rates of open source code
compare to those of closed source code?  Of course, we have only anecdotal
evidence that the latter is also 'amazingly large'.  And, to be fair, the
latter should include the one-programmer proprietary projects that
correspond to the one-programmer open projects.

Also, what is 'amazing' to one depends on one's expectations ;-).  It is
known, for instance, that some large fraction of visible retail business
fail within a year.  And that natural selection is based on that fact that
failure is normal.

Terry J. Reedy