Favorite non-python language trick?

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Fri Jul 1 16:02:10 EDT 2005

Joseph Garvin wrote:

> I'm curious -- what is everyone's favorite trick from a non-python
> language? And -- why isn't it in Python?

I'm not aware of a language that allows it, but recently I've found
myself wanting the ability to transparently replace objects. For
example, if you have a transparent wrapper class around a certain
object, and then determine that you no longer need to wrap the object,
you can say the magic incantation, and the wrapper instance is replaced
by what it is wrapping everywhere in the program. Or you have a complex
math object, and you realize you can reduce it to a simple integer, you
can substitue the integer for the math object, everywhere.

I mainly look for it in the "object replaces self" form, but I guess you
could also have it for arbitrary objects, e.g. to wrap a logging object
around a function, even if you don't have access to all references of
that function.

Why isn't it in Python? It's completely counter to the conventional
object semantics.