map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Tue Jul 5 09:01:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, George Sakkis wrote:

> "Tom Anderson" <twic at urchin.earth.li> wrote:
>
>> I'll just chip in and say i'd quite like a flatten(), too; at the moment,
>> i have one like this:
>>
>> def flatten(ll):
>>   return reduce(lambda a, l: a.extend(l), ll, [])
>
> This doesn't work; a.extend() returns None, not the extended list a:

Ah, no, very good, i was hoping someone would notice that. Well done.

I think my lambda looks more like lambda a, b: a + b, but i realised the
other day that extend could make it more efficient, and didn't think it
through properly.

tom

--
The revolution will not be televised. The revolution will be live.