Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jul 30 11:40:49 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Peter Decker <pydecker at gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/30/05, Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> I'm aware of it (and there is Wax and maybe a third one).
>> Actually it illustrates my point quite well: These projects are
>> small and instable (Dabo has a developer basis of very few
>> people, Wax has only one); they are even worse documented; they
>> add another layer which slows down and requires the end-user to
>> install another package; they force you to test even more GUI
>> approaches.
>
> Well, wxPython itself is largely the work of a single person, but
> I doubt that many consider that a reason to avoid it.

But the developer and contributor base is much larger, so the
project has reached the critical mass.

> As far as your comment about 'slowing down' the app, I've found
> that Dabo and pure-wxPython apps run indistinguishably. Perhaps
> there are some microseconds of extra processing, but I sure
> haven't noticed it.  And I don't think that the comment about
> installing another package is fair; *anything* outside of the
> standard distribution requires that, and Dabo is no more difficult
> than copying to site-packages.

I didn't want to say that Dabo is bad.  I just wanted to point out
that its presence (and the presence of comparable projects) doesn't
ease the IMO unfortunate situation with GUI toolkits for Python.

Tschö,
Torsten.