Comparison of functions

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jul 30 17:49:07 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Python already allows you to compare "this is not a number" with the float
> 5.0. Mathematically, that is meaningless, but I would bet money that
> 99.9% of programmers would demand that they should be able to sort the
> list ["this is not a number", 5.0]. Do you think that it is unintuitive
> too?

I strongly suspect that 99.8% of (let's say non-newbie) programmers
would have no expectation that the default sort routine would do
something other than barf on that input.  You want "garbage in, garbage
out", but in Python it's supposed to be "garbage in, exception out,
please be explicit about what you want next time".

I can't think of any use case for sorting a list like that which
wouldn't most appropriately be handled with a custom comparison routine
passed to sort.

-Peter