General questions about embedding Python.

George Sakkis gsakkis at rutgers.edu
Sun Jul 3 19:28:14 EDT 2005

"amit" <amit at digitalpeers.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently studying how to embedd python. I am developing a
> graphical C++ application. My goal is to embedd python script that will
> control some kind of animation.
>  I have some questions about python embedding:

Others will probably answer your specific questions, but I will ask you
another first: Why do you (think you) need to embed python in the first
place, as opposed to wrapping the low-level performance critical C++
animation code (through SWIG, Boost, or SIP or even use Pyrex), and
have python on top ? I know very little about embedding python other
than it is not considered a pleasant experience, so make sure you look
into the alternatives and have very good reasons if you decide to go
down this route.

George