Pre-PEP: Dictionary accumulator methods

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Mar 19 17:38:15 EST 2005

Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
> Are you kidding? If you know what "set" and "default" means, you will
be
> able to guess what "setdefault" means. Same goes for updateBy.

No I'm not kidding -- people from some cultures have no difficulty at
all in mentally splitting up "words" like "setdefault" or the German
equivalent of "Danubesteamnavigationcompany'sdirector'swife"; others
from other cultures where agglutinisation is not quite so rife will
have extreme difficulty.

And "Updateby" sounds like a village somewhere in the Danelaw :-)