Python 2.4 / WinXP / distutils error (cookbook example)

magoldfish at yahoo.com magoldfish at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 23:06:34 EST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> There are several solutions, but one is to install Visual Studio .NET
> 2003 (which is different from Visual Studio .NET, also referred to
> as VS.NET 2002). Microsoft managed to rename the C library (CRT)
between
> 2002 (msvcr7.dll) and 2003 (msvcr71.dll), and you need to make sure
> your extension uses the same CRT as the one used to build Python.

Thanks Martin-- you pointed me in the right direction.  I followed the
instructions at

http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html

to modify my distutils and development environment to use the free
Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit Compiler 2003.  Reproducing the recipe
result was straightforward from there.

Marcus