is there a problem on this simple code

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Mar 31 10:56:07 EST 2005

jrlen balane wrote:
> hi! could anyone give their input on my previous post about timer and
> threading...]
> pleaseee...

A few bits of unrequested advice which might help you get
more and better responses (though the ones you have got
in the past already appear to be above and beyond the call
of duty, given your apparent lack of actually following
advice you are given):

1. It's most annoying that you are not taking even a bit
of time to "prune" the useless quoted material from your
messages (notice how I've done it in this one).  From
a netiquette point of view, that's considered rude and reduces
the level of respect you will be shown.

1.5.  Don't "top-post"!  That's when you put your reply
*above* the material you are replying to, and it's very
frustrating and against widely followed conventions.
Take the time to prune quoted material to the minimum,
then add your comments inline as I've done in this
message, not all at the top.

1.6. Always start a new thread when you have a new request.
One reason you might not have got replies to this latest
request yet is that you posted it as a followup to the
version of "hitting the 'k' key" and killed the thread,
meaning they won't see any additional messages that are
posted in reply to existing messages in this thread.

2. Pay closer attention to the requests you get from those
trying to help you.  For example, you were asked a number
of times to clean up some of the unnecessary or confusing
or redundant code in the programs you were posting, but
you never bothered.  Here it looks like you are not willing
to make an effort.

3. Trust that in this newsgroup, more than perhaps almost
any other, if you don't get a reply it's not because nobody
read your message, and begging will just annoy people. In
any event, be patient, then assume that your request was
inadequate in some way and don't just try reposting, try
instead to figure out what you did wrong and when you post
again, *improve* your request in some way.  It might help
if you study and follow some of the advice in the essay at
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .

> my program seemed to just run first the thread then when it encounters
> error on the thread that's the time that other part of the program got
> the chance to be executed
> even the timer even is not executed while the thread is running

I suspect the reason no one replied (and here I really hope
you'll refer to item 2. above), is that you didn't post
anything resembling working code, and out of context it's
unclear what you are talking about.  There are dozens of
ways of interpreting your code and your request, and it's
impossible to guess exactly which you meant.

For example, it seems like you might have meant to say
"will the thread be executed" instead of "exited", but
I'm not sure.

And you don't show the imports you used, so nobody can
tell for sure whether you are referring to the "threading"
module and the "timer" module, or just to threading
and maybe timers in general.  wxPython, for example,
also has a timer object.

More importantly, your code can't be executed, so
we're just shooting in the dark if we try to figure
out how you are getting "someTimerEvent" to execute,
if indeed it is a function.  The "def" statements
don't have colons after them, so we're not even sure
you are asking about how to do something, or perhaps
you have code that is just not compiling because it
is syntactically incorrect.

In a nutshell, do the most you possibly can to help
us out, and you'll get timely and effective help.
Otherwise you may get silence, and "pleaseee" will
just sound like whining.

Please take this in the helpful spirit in which it
was intended.

-Peter