unicode converting

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Wed Mar 16 07:37:07 EST 2005

On 16 Mar 2005 04:21:16 -0800, rumours say that "Serge Orlov"
<Serge.Orlov at gmail.com> might have written:

>> On Windoze, Mandrake and SuSE python has UCS-2
>> unicode and Tkinter is working just fine.
>
>Did you build python on Mandrake and SuSE yourself? I had an impression
>that ucs-4 builds are prefered on Linux. At least python on RedHat EL3
>and SUSE ES9 is built with --enable-unicode=ucs4.

tzot at tril/home/tzot/tmp
$ py
Python 2.4 (#8, Mar  2 2005, 11:12:44)
[GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
.>> import sys
.>> sys.maxunicode
65535
.>> import Tkinter
.>>
You have new mail in /var/mail/tzot
tzot at tril/home/tzot/tmp
$ python
Python 2.3.3 (#1, Aug 31 2004, 13:51:39)
[GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
.>> import sys, Tkinter
.>> sys.maxunicode
1114111
.>>

2.4 built by me, 2.3.3 by SuSE.

I see.  So on SuSE 9.1 professional too, Python and Tcl/Tk are pre-built with
ucs-4.  My Mandrake installation is at home and I can't check now.  Sorry for
the misinformation about SuSE.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.