GUI toolkit question

gsteff greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 17:51:29 EST 2005

If you may need to port to another language, you'll probably want to
use a toolkit that helps you store the interface description seperately
from the code.  The example I'm most familiar with is libglade for GTK,
although I believe Qt and wx have analagous facilities.  I don't do 3D
stuff myself, but I'd guess that your best bet for that will be OpenGL.
 wxwidgets 2.1.14 and higher has an OpenGL canvas included with the
stock distribution.  OpenGL widgets also exist for GTK, and the
Trolltech website says that OpenGL functionality is included with
QT/X11, though I have no experience with this.  Others can offer more
informed advice than I can, but I'd probably reccommend Qt.  Very good
documentation, Qt designer rocks, and I'd trust their OpenGl stuff more
than the others.

Greg Steffensen