distutils: binary distribution?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 9 18:29:22 EST 2005

Stefan Waizmann wrote:
> I would like the distutils are creating a binary distribution only - means
> create the distribution file with *.pyc files WITHOUT the *.py files. Any
> ideas?

You will need to create your own command. You can either specialize the
build command, to not copy the source code (more specifically, the
build_py command), or you modify the relevant bdist_* command to not
include the "built" .py files into the binary distribution.

Once you have implemented the derived commands, you pass them to the
setup function in the cmdclass keyword argument.

Regards,
Martin