GOTO (was Re: Appeal for python developers)

beliavsky at aol.com beliavsky at aol.com
Sat Mar 5 11:00:23 EST 2005

Torsten Bronger wrote:
> Hallöchen!
>
> BOOGIEMAN <BOOGIEMANPN at YAHOO.COM> writes:
>
> > Please include "goto" command in future python realeses I know
> > that proffesional programers doesn't like to use it, but for me as
> > newbie it's too hard to get used replacing it with "while", "def"
> > or other commands
>
> Accordings to Stroustrup's C++ book, the only good reason for goto
> statements in a language is to have it in computer-generated code.
> I don't know whether programs generate Python, but I *think* that
> even there "goto" can be avoided very easily.

Goto is useful in breaking out of a nested loop and when there is a
clean-up section of a function that should be executed for various
error conditions.

In another newsgroup I once asked "who needs GOTO" and got some good
answers -- the thread can be found by Googling 'beliavsky at aol.com
"explicit GOTO"'. Goto's are less dangerous when they are in the
forward direction, to code appearing later.