About Databases...

Lee Harr lee at example.com
Sat Mar 12 09:49:03 EST 2005

On 2005-03-11, andrea_gavana at tin.it <andrea_gavana at tin.it> wrote:
> Hello NG,
>
>    I am still quite a newbie with Python (I intensely use wxPython, anyway).
> I would like to know what are, in your opinions, the best/faster databases
> that I could use in Python (and, of course, I should be able to "link" everything
> with a wxPython GUI)? Specifically, I work on Reservoir Simulation, and
> usually I have to store a discrete/huge amount of data (it depends on the
> oil field). As you may have understood, I know almost NOTHING about databases
> ;-)
> In general, my data will be numeric (floats, integers). Will a binary storage
> (if it is possible) reduce the size of the DB? And what about speed in storing/retrieving
> data?
>
> Thank you a lot for every suggestion.
>
> Andrea.

There is also the PostGIS extension for PostgreSQL
which may be of use in your situation:

http://postgis.refractions.net/

"""
PostGIS adds support for geographic objects to the
PostgreSQL object-relational database. In effect,
PostGIS "spatially enables" the PostgreSQL server,
allowing it to be used as a backend spatial database
for geographic information systems (GIS), much like
ESRI's SDE or Oracle's Spatial extension.
"""