Can't seem to insert rows into a MySQL table

grumfish nobody at nowhere.com
Sat Mar 12 13:24:10 EST 2005

I'm trying to add a row to a MySQL table using insert. Here is the code:

connection = MySQLdb.connect(host="localhost", user="root", passwd="pw",
db="japanese")
cursor = connection.cursor()
cursor.execute("INSERT INTO edict (kanji, kana, meaning) VALUES (%s, %s,
connection.close()

After running, a SELECT * on the table shows no new rows added. Adding
rows using the MySQL client works fine. With the Python script, nothing.
There are no exceptions raised or any output at all. The rowcount of the
cursor is 1 after the execute is 1 and the table's auto_increment value
is increased for each insert done. Can anybody help? I'm fairly new to
MySQL so I'm afraid its going to be a stupid oversight on my part. Thank
you.