Grouping code by indentation - feature or ******?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Tue Mar 29 02:47:36 EST 2005

Op 2005-03-25, Dennis Lee Bieber schreef <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com>:
> On 25 Mar 2005 14:26:28 GMT, Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be>
>

>> 1) It makes it hard to see how many levels are dedented at the end of
>>    a suite, and sometime makes it difficult to see where the end
>>    of a suite is. If e.g. you are looking at the code spread over
>>    two pieces of paper, it is sometimes hard to see whether the
>>    suite ends at the end of the first page or not.
>>
> 	Well, for that, one can follow the recommendations I'd
> encountered back in the early 80s -- pre-Python...
>
> 	One does not /write/ stuff that spreads over multiple pages (and
> I've even seen that defined to be that the function/procedure in
> question shouldn't even spread beyond a terminal window).

This advise doesn't help.

1) The stuff doesn't has to be spread over multiple pages. One
   can have 2 functions, each about three quarter of a page.
   The second function will then cross a page boundary.

2) How long is a page? I have worked in differend kind of
   environments where the number of lines per page could
   differ from 35 to 70.

>> 3) Sometimes the structure of the algorithm is not the structure
>>    of the code as written, people who prefer that the indentation
>>    reflects the structure of the algorithm instead of the structure
>>    of the code, are forced to indent wrongly.
>
> 	Do you have an example?

About any time I have need of a break.

--
Antoon Pardon