[Newbie] How do I get better at Python programming?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 29 00:25:46 EST 2005

Anon said unto the world upon 2005-03-29 00:07:
> I've gotten off to a good start for programming using Python (my first
> programming language).  I can do the basics (different kinds of loops,
> variables, functions), but I'm not too good with classes yet.  I've
> written some really small programs just for kicks (most involve
> statistics of different situations using random numbers).
>
> I'd like to get to the next level, but I'm not sure how.  Are there any
> suggestions for continuing to learn?  How did you guys learn?

Learning is a process and I'm far from done :-)

Python was also my first language (save for some BASIC long ago). The
the single most useful thing for me was the Python tutor list
<http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor>.

Aside from getting helpful answers to your own questions, you can
learn a lot just by watching. Early on, I didn't get much out of
reading c.l.p, but the tutor list was pitched at a level much more
appropriate to the understanding I had.

Other than that:

Write code. Read code. Repeat. :-)

Best,