python-dev Summary for 2005-02-01 through 2005-02-14

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Mar 6 22:25:18 EST 2005

[The HTML version of this Summary is available at
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-02-01_2005-02-14.html]

=====================
Summary Announcements
=====================

--------------------------
Giving myself a gold watch
--------------------------

As some of you may have already heard or read, I am retiring from writing the
python-dev Summaries after sending out the March 16 - 31 summary.  It has been
a long time coming and it required a kick in the ass (graciously supplied by
Steve Holden) to finally make me let go of doing this and let someone else take
over.

The joy of the Summaries has dwindled over the 2.5 years I have been doing
this.  I was only doing them to be helpful.  But now I would rather put my time
and effort I have for Python into coding work rather than the Summaries.  I
would like to think I can be more productive and helpful as a programmer than a
writer.  And so there will only be three more regular Summaries after this
written by yours truly.

But do not worry about the Summaries dying!  When I announced this (see
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051823.html for the
thread that led to this), three individuals stepped forward to pick up the work
once I step down.  Steven Bethard, Tony Meyer, and Tim Lesher are being
considered for picking up where I left off.  There is the possibility that they
will actually write the Summaries together as a team.

As for my last Summary, expect a more expository one with my random thoughts on
PyCon, Python, and anything else that comes to mind that I feel like using this
space to abuse.  You have Scott David Daniels to thank for that format idea for
my final hurrah.

------------
Go to PyCon!
------------

I just booked my hotel room for PyCon_.  You going to be there so I can shake
your hand, thanking you for supporting Python?

.. _PyCon: http://www.pycon.org/

=========
Summaries
=========

-------------------------------------
Python Security Response Team founded
-------------------------------------
For those of you who don't know, a security hole was found in XML-RPC servers
in the stdlib that use register_instance; details at
http://www.python.org/security/PSF-2005-001/ .

  This group's job is to respond to any and all security issues that come up as
quickly as possible and to issue a patch in a timely fashion.

.. _Python Security Response Team: http://www.python.org/security/

Contributing threads:
   - `Wanted: members for Python Security Response Team
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051414.html>`__

------------------------------
Licensing issues in the stdlib
------------------------------
It was reported to python-dev that 'profiler' and 'md5 do not conform to the
Debian Free Software Guidelines.  The specific issue was derived works using
Python.  This is obviously not a good thing.

Things are in the works, though.  The hope is to get the copyrights signed over
and all of this cleared up.  At worst the modules will be replaced with code
licensed to the Python Software Foundation.  If you care to accelerate this by
writing replacements please do so.

Contributing threads:
   - `license issues with profiler.py and md5.h/md5c.c
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051450.html>`__

Replacing list of constants with tuple of constants
note: written by Tim Lesher

Skip Montanaro noticed that Raymond Hettinger had made a number of
library checkins replacing lists with tuples in constructs like ``for
a in [1, 2, 3]:`` and ``if a in [1, 2, 3]:``.  He agreed with the
motivation (the peephole optimizer can convert a tuple of constants
into a single constant, eliminating construction time), but questioned
hardcoding the optimization.  Instead, he suggested teaching the
optimizer about "throwaway" lists in ``for`` and ``if`` statements.

Guido agreed with the sentiment.  Raymond accepted the suggestion, and
checked in code to implement it.  There were some issues, though, but those
will be covered in the next Summary.

Contributing threads:
   - `list of constants -> tuple of constants
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051442.html>`__

-------------------
Complex I/O problem
-------------------
note: written by Tim Lesher

Neal Becker asked why the result of printing a complex number is not an
acceptable input to constructing a complex.  For example, ``print
complex(2,2)`` yields ``'(2+2j)'``; but ``complex('(2+2j)')`` throws a
ValueError.

A. M. Kuchling responded that many types, including 'str' and
'file' share this behavior, and that in any event, parsing string
representations is a job more suited to 'eval' than to classes
themselves.

Guido `reiterated the rules`_ for str() (used by 'print') and
repr(). Since both complex.__str__ and complex.__repr__
pass the eval() test, he pronounced it fine.

.. _reiterated the rules:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051390.html

Contributing threads:
   - `complex I/O problem
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051388.html>`__

-----------------------------
2.3.5 and 2.4.1 release plans
-----------------------------
note: written by Steve Bethard

Anthony Baxter, Alex Martelli and Tim Peters squelched a bug where
deepcopy failed on instances of types that lacked an ``__mro__``
attribute.

The patch was pretty straight-forward (use inspect.getmro instead
of cls.__mro__), but coming up with a test case was hard --
creating a Python object that doesn't have an __mro__ takes some
complicated C code like that of Zope's ExtensionClass.  Fortunately,
John Lenton's c.l.py_ suggestion to simply raise an AttributeError for
__mro__ in __getattribute__ properly tickled the bug, and 2.3.5
was cleared for release.

Contributing Threads:
- `2.3.5 and 2.4.1 release plans
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/thread.html>`__

Clarification sought about including a multidimensional array object into
Python core
note: written by Steve Bethard

Travis Oliphant and others looked into the issues of including an
array object (like that of Numeric or numarray) in Python core.

Guido seemed hesitant, concerned that as Numeric_ and numarray_ continue
to co-exist, the array object wouldn't be the "best of breed" (one of
the requirements for inclusion in Python core).  Travis explained that
most of the disagreements are over ufunc objects, not the basic array
object itself, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to include the array
object without the ufunc object if necessary.  There was also some
suggestion that, at least for basic arithmetic operations, Numeric and
numarray mostly agree, so a stripped-down ufunc object for these
operations might also be inclusion-worthy.

In an aside that grew decidedly un-aside-ish, Paul F. Dubois, Guido
and David Ascher explained why matrix should not inherit from
arrayobject -- this would complicate __new__ and cause confusion when
mixed operands (arrays and matrices) are given to a binary op like
multiplication.

.. _Numeric: http://numeric.scipy.org/
.. _numarray: http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray

Contributing Threads:
   - `Clarification sought about including a multidimensional array object into
Python core
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051474.html>`__
   - `Numeric life as I see it
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051493.html>`__

--------------------------------------
More licensing issues - redistribution
--------------------------------------
note:: written by Tony Meyer

As most people know, one of the major changes between the Windows builds of
Python 2.3 and 2.4 is that 2.4 is built with VC7, rather than VC6.  One of
the consequences of this change is that 2.4 links with the Microsoft DLL
msvcr71.dll, which only some people have, rather than msvcr.dll, which
pretty much all Windows users have.

The Windows Python 2.4 distribution installs msvcr71.dll, so it's there when
needed.  However, those building frozen applications (e.g. with py2exe) need
to ensure that their users have msvcr71.dll.

After going through the EULA's for both the commercial and free-to-use
Microsoft compilers, it seems that redistributing mscvr71.dll is acceptable,
if the re-distributor owns a copy of the commercial (not free) compiler,
includes an EULA agreement in one of various forms (e.g. 'click-wrap'), and
follows various other minor conditions (note that just about every message
in this thread contains "IANAL, but").

This leaves those without VC7 unable to redistribute msvcr71.dll, unless, as
some suggested, distributing a frozen Python application can be considered
as redistributing Python (and the various other minor conditions are
followed).

In an interesting twist, it appears that the official Windows Python 2.4
distribution is in breach of the EULA, as a 'click-wrap' license is
required, and is not present.  This element of the thread died without
reaching a conclusion, however.

If you *are* a lawyer (with expertise in this area), and would like to
comment, then please do!

Contributing threads:
    - `Is msvcr71.dll re-redistributable?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051393.html>`__

----------------------------------
Avoiding signs in memory addresses
----------------------------------
note:: written by Tony Meyer

Troels Walsted Hansen pointed out that builtin_id() can return a negative
number in Python 2.4 (and can generate a warning in 2.3).  Some 2.3 modules
(but no 2.4 ones) have code to work around this, but Troels suggested that a
better solution would be to simply have builtin_id() return an unsigned long
integer.  The consensus was that this would be a good idea, although nothing
has been checked in yet, and so this will probably stagnate without someone
submitting a patch (or at least a bug report).

Contributing threads:
    - `builtin_id() returns negative numbers
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-February/051559.html>`__

===============
Skipped Threads
===============
+ Son of PEP 246, redux
+ Re: PEP 246: LiskovViolation as a name
+ Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Python future.c, 2.14, 2.15
+ Other library updates
+ Re: python/dist/src/Lib rfc822.py,1.78,1.79
+ Patch review: [ 1098732 ] Enhance tracebacks and stack traces with vars
+ Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Python compile.c, 2.343, 2.344
+ Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib xmlrpclib.py, 1.38, 1.39
+ ViewCVS on SourceForge is broken

========
Epilogue
========

February 01, 2005 through February 14, 2005.
It is intended to inform the wider Python community of on-going
developments on the list on a semi-monthly basis.  An archive_ of
previous summaries is available online.

An `RSS feed`_ of the titles of the summaries is available.
You can also watch comp.lang.python or comp.lang.python.announce for
new summaries (or through their email gateways of python-list or
python-announce, respectively, as found at http://mail.python.org).

This is the fifty-eighth summary written by Brett Cannon (3 more after this one).

To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org.  Do *not*
post to comp.lang.python if you wish to reach me.

The `Python Software Foundation`_ is the non-profit organization that
holds the intellectual property for Python.  It also tries to advance
the development and use of Python.  If you find the python-dev Summary
helpful please consider making a donation.  You can make a donation at
http://python.org/psf/donations.html .  Every penny helps so even a
small donation with a credit card, check, or by PayPal helps.

If you are looking for a way to expand your knowledge of Python's
development and inner-workings, consider writing the python-dev
Summaries yourself!  I am willing to hand over the reins to someone
who is willing to do a comparable or better job of writing the
Summaries.  If you are interested, please email me at
brett at python.org.

--------------------
Commenting on Topics
--------------------

To comment on anything mentioned here, just post to
`comp.lang.python`_ (or email python-list at python.org which is a
gateway to the newsgroup) with a subject line mentioning what you are
discussing.  All python-dev members are interested in seeing ideas
discussed by the community, so don't hesitate to take a stance on
something.  And if all of this really interests you then get involved
and join `python-dev`_!

-------------------------
How to Read the Summaries
-------------------------

The in-development version of the documentation for Python can be
found at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ and should be used when
looking up any documentation for new code; otherwise use the current
documentation as found at http://docs.python.org/ .  PEPs (Python
Enhancement Proposals) are located at http://www.python.org/peps/ .
To view files in the Python CVS online, go to
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ .  Reported
bugs and suggested patches can be found at the SourceForge_ project
page.

Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_.
Any unfamiliar punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it
is probably regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely
ignore it.  I do suggest learning reST, though; it's simple and is
accepted for `PEP markup`_ and can be turned into many different
formats like HTML and LaTeX.  Unfortunately, even though reST is
standardized, the wonders of programs that like to reformat text do
not allow me to guarantee you will be able to run the text version of
this summary through Docutils_ as-is unless it is from the
`original text file`_.

.. _python-dev: http://www.python.org/dev/
.. _SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470
.. _c.l.py: