Licensing Python code under the Python license

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 12 02:38:54 EST 2005

Daniel Keep wrote:
> I'm currently working on a Python program, and was wondering if it's
> possible to license the program, some associated tools, and a few other
> libraries I've written under the Python license.
>
> I had a look at the new PSF Python license on the list of OSI-approved
> licenses, but it makes numerous direct mentions of Python and the PSF.
> Is there any acceptable way to simply say that a particular source file
> is under the PSF license (like you can w/ the GPL/LGPL), and would it
> even apply?
>
> Or am I just on the completely wrong track, and should I look
> elsewhere? :P

Please don't. Because it does include proper names that you would have
to replace (and not in a properly templated fashion like some other
public licenses), it just becomes awkward because you can't really call
it "the PSF license" anymore.

If you want a similar license, please consider the following licenses
instead:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/afl-2.1.php