Python for a 10-14 years old?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Mar 27 08:18:08 EST 2005

In article <1111660534.419431.75750 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Michele Simionato <michele.simionato at gmail.com> wrote:

>But here I am discussing other kind of intellectual capabilities,
>in particular the ability to learn a programming language.
>
>I think the problem most kids face is *not* lack of intellectual
>capability, but lack of concentration. Most kids cannot keep
>their concentration focused on a single topic for a long period
>of time, so they start one thing and never finish it, since
>they have a thousand other little things to do in the mean time.

That's part of it.  Another issue is that general problem-solving skills
do increase with experience.  I also think that programming ability
tracks reading/writing ability to at least some extent, and while there
are child prodigies with language, they seem to be rarer than smaller
skillsets.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR