sgmlop: malformed charrefs?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at selje.idi.ntnu.no
Fri Mar 18 07:05:51 EST 2005

In article <mailman.551.1111124884.1799.python-list at python.org>,
Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>>> are the PyXML folks shipping the latest sgmlop?  I'm pretty sure
>>> they've forked the code (there's no UnicodeParser in the
>>> effbot.org edition), and I have no idea how things work in the
>>> fork.
>>
>> As we've forked the code, the answer is a clear "yes" :-) It
>> certainly is the latest release of the fork.
>
>if the 2000-07-05 date is correct, there has been at least eight
>public releases of the original sgmlop distribution since the fork.

Hm. This may, of course, be just fine -- but it seems a bit
unfortunate to me... I.e. nice features added in each of the two, but
no distribution where all the features are available... Or something.
(Or at least all the bug fixes :)

Is there any chance of at least sharing fixes for thins such as the
illegal charrefs becoming entity refs etc.? (Yeah, I know, I can
submit patches, but I don't know the code all that well...)

Or: What are the chances of handling Unicode with the Effbot sgmlop
(which seems to be the only feature I'm missing in that at the
moment)? Using UTF-8 or something would be completely acceptable to
me, as long as it works. (Maybe simply feeding it UTF-8 strings would
work as it is? Except for Unicode charrefs, of course... Or?)

- M

--
Magnus Lie Hetland               Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies
http://hetland.org               like bananas.         -- Groucho Marx