Licensing Python code under the Python license

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 02:32:16 EST 2005

[Daniel Keep]
> I'm currently working on a Python program, and was wondering if it's
> possible to license the program, some associated tools, and a few other
> libraries I've written under the Python license.
>
> I had a look at the new PSF Python license on the list of OSI-approved
> licenses, but it makes numerous direct mentions of Python and the PSF.
> Is there any acceptable way to simply say that a particular source file
> is under the PSF license (like you can w/ the GPL/LGPL), and would it
> even apply?
>
> Or am I just on the completely wrong track, and should I look
> elsewhere? :P

Here's the Python Software Foundation's advice on this:

    http://www.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq

In general, the PSF doesn't encourage using the PSF Python license for
other projects, for reasons explained there.  If you want to anyway,
that's fine, but you at least need to edit it to fit the specifics of
your project (as also explained there).