Boo who? (was Re: newbie question)

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 16:16:12 EST 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:

>"Luis M. Gonzalez" <luismgz at gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:1103579296.951417.320000 at c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

>>It is as important and "python related" as other projects
>>such as PyPy, Stackless,
>>

>but I think this is silly.  PyPy is an alternate implementation of Python,
>not a different language.  Stackless is a compiled extension, like many
>others, that works with the standard implementation or maybe still a minor
>modification thereof.

Where would you classify Pyrex?

Language boundaries are somewhat artificial, but Pyrex clearly doesn't
intend to be as similar to Python as PyPy does.  Still, it's close
enough to almost be considered a language extension.

If one wanted to bother, one could probably construct a language
slightly more similar to Python than Pyrex, and another slightly less
similar.  This couldn't continue forever, as the domain is discrete.
But it could go a long!! way.  One could probably arrive at a graded
series of languages between Python and C (probably along several
different transformation vectors).

And slightly off to the side would be Python 2.5 and C2006 (or whatever
year the next version is defined).  But some of the languages in the
series would be more similar to current Python than is Python 2.5.

So.  A language is a series of specifications made at differnt times,
and has a fuzzy surround of implementations which nearly meet the
specifications.  And this is true even where one of the implementations
itself is designated as the primary specification (because people will
argue that this feature or that is wrongly implemented).

Still, even given all that, Boo is clearly outside the area that is
Python.  (One could have a "minimal acceptable distance" which could be
thought of as running correctly most of the programs that the core
language would run correctly.)